Abandoned warehouse fashion shoot with Minimatt studios featuring Lucy Clarvis
Lucy had got in touch with me about an incredible location she'd come across to do a fashion inspired shoot. Lucy and myself have worked together many times on fashion shoots and we always have loads of fun, she's great to work with and we always seem to bounce some great ideas between us. The last shoot we did we invited a videographer to capture a behind the scenes video. We planned to do the same with this one and so asked Andy & Jonny from Minimatt Studios to accompany us.
We started with a walk around the venue, I had only seen it in pictures that Lucy had sent me before we arranged the shoot. The warehouse was as impressive as I'd imagined when we started exploring. There were several floors, beautiful wide open spaces beneath skylights, crumbling walls, dust and dirt, peeling paint and dark corners. It was a photographers dream!
We wanted to keep our team small so Lucy did her own hair and makeup and had a wardrobe full of beautiful outfits to wear. We planned 6 outfits for 6 different areas of the warehouse and then got to shooting. Andy from Minimatt was on set with me, capturing plenty of behind the scenes shots of us shooting. Jonny also captured stills from behind the scenes of the warehouse and our team.
We used enitirely natural light all except for one scene. The light that poured through the windows on that overcast day was beautiful. The scene where we shot in the lift though was right in the centre of the building with little available light. We used an industrial site light to light the area instead, which worked perfectly for the look we wanted.
Creative shoots like this is what helps us grow. I've had so much training and done plenty of exciting workshops over the years, but none of that means anything if we don't put the time and effort in to experiment and make mistakes. We always have plenty of fun as the atmosphere is relaxed and inspiring. I'm looking for fellow creatives to collaborate with on more shoots this year, so if you have an idea or need some portfolio building or shoot experience, get in touch and we'll have a chat and see if we can help each other out.
With special thanks to Minimatt Studios for this behind the scenes video.
Featuring photos taken by Jonny Lavin.
Here are some fast tips for making sure your child or children are prepared for the session.
1) Make certain that the trip over is not rushed or hassled. Avoid last minute packing problems.
2) Let the youngster select their option of attire as long as they will also have on your choice too.
3) Bring more than 1 outfit anyway, simply in case of accidents.
4) Make sure they are well-fed and watered before they arrive. A light snack and drink thirty minutes before will make certain they are content.
5) With very young children try and timetable your booking around nap-time.
6) If you have an infant who is still feeding then that is fine, we understand if you need to take a rest simply to top them up a little.
7) With babies, don't worry if they are asleep, frequently sleeping babies look loveable in their images.
8) Be prepared with bribes. Whatever works on your child.
9) If the shoot is a mixed one with adults and children being taken separately as well as together then bring some toys for them to play with while it is your turn.
Our studio sessions are aimed at being fun and relaxing for both you and your children. Generally a shoot will take roughly half an hour, the shorter the better as kids can get bored easily. But that doesn't mean you will have less photos. We have a rough shootlist of what we want to achieve from our shoot with you and your family and we will try to capture it all. Any ideas and suggestions you'd like to bring to your shoot to really express your family are more than welcome. It's all about making sure you guys enjoy yourselves whilst capturing the very essence of who your family are.
With thanks to Kimberley, Ryan, Ollie and Thea for coming by for a cute and fun family shoot.
"Vicky makes your photoshoots relaxing and so much fun and the images are beyond stunning. We've had two with her and LOVED them both - leaving with photographs to absolutely treasure. Hands down we would never go to anyone else. Very talented and genuinely lovely human being! Immensely highly recommended!"
North Lincolnshire Wedding Photographer